Thursday, October 4, 2007

Did You Know

The video hit me hardest when they said that a college freshman will not need the info he learns by his junior year. I am sending my first child to school and he is a freshman. Please don't tell me that check I wrote out and sweating saving for is a bust? I hope they are teaching him how to keep up more than anything!

One question I wanted to respond to was the question about what skills do we need to strive and thrive. First, how will I strive and thrive? I believe technology is a huge component to our teaching and learning. I know that I use it to give my students information that is exciting and organized. I recently started a unit for my 4th graders on The Great Depression and used a phenomenal YouTube clip. My students were mesmerized by the photos used and the information that was given. I could never have gotten all of that together as nicely. We also use it to search and creatively write. I also have a brilliant CP student that manipulates interactive sites so I usually teach a lesson where he can interact with us using his computer. I think I have so much more to experiment with but I do use it. As for our students I believe that there are two major components to striving and thriving. One is staying up to date with technology. It is the future and it is changing so quickly they will have to stay on top of it in a successful business world. The other is critical thinking. That cannot be done with a computer. To teach critical thinking and problem solving to be used with peers is an asset for our children's future. Students need to know the process of brainstorming problems and creatively solving those challenges. This is done in a classroom that gives time for students to work through multi-faceted, multi-level problems in groups. Even with technology we will need to solve problems together.

Is it possible to be an excellent teacher with out using technology? No. That is like saying "Did the Beatles put out a new album?" We need to move with the times. I didn't say be comfortable with the times, but move with them. Technology offers us so much to add to our curriculum in the way of up to date information, colorful informative video presentations, and stimulating means of presenting projects. I feel it is impossible to teach without technology.

8 comments:

materiaj1 said...

I like how you said, "I hope they teach him how to keep up". Maybe they will teach him to learn how to learn. That will hopefully give him the tools to keep up. I believe that is what we were suppose to glean from what we have read and talked about thus far.

Mary Ehid said...

I too just wrote a check and sent my first child off to college as a freshmen, let's hope our checks will start to pay off in 2011 when they graduate.

My post was similar to yours. We need to teach students to think, to problem solve, etc. If students can think critically and attack problems without our guidance, they will be successful.

Lindsey said...

Problem solving, thinking on your feet, and working well with others are skills that will never go to waste. These skills combined with using technology is what will make our students marketable when it is their turn to work. We teach our students what we can, and they will have to use their problem solving skills to piece together the rest.

Tavarez said...

I thought I was a savvy technology user, but unlike other skills, technology changes so rapidly that in order to stay updated you must use it on a regular basis. We can teach our students many skills, but until they touch the keyboard, navigate the web, use the software and publish their creations; it is only kinetic energy waiting to be used. I wonder what are the essentials that would allow students to quickly grasp new technological concepts at the speed of which they are created. I have personally found that by the time that you believe you mastered a software, something new comes or it is so updated that it takes time to learn how to fully use it.

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

I think colleges will have to adjust to and focus less on the lecture to fill students heads with content and more learning activities to foster independence and critical thinking. That will not be obsolete.

scooter5631 said...

I don't think you have to worry about your check being a bust. Most learning in college takes place outside of the classroom. Your child will learn to be independent, manage time, interract in social settings, and communicate thoughts and ideas. All of these skills will be useful no matter what specific content is most relevant when he graduates.

Coach Golding-Cooper said...

I appreciate your comment regarding your child. I'm sure that he will continue to "keep up" with the skills he has gained. I also agree with the focus on problem solving and critical thinking.

M. Hewitt said...

It would be nice if all teachers were willing to keep up with the times. Moving with them is important for our success as teachers. If we don't teach our students the new technological advances, than what are we here for?